|Dot partially erased|
|Quick and the Fed|
|Written by||John Grace, Gavin Blair|
|Story by||Gavin Blair, Ian Pearson|
|Original Airdate||24 September 1994|
|Prev.: Racing the Clock | Next: The Medusa Bug|
|View Episode List.|
Megabyte has processed a dangerous magnet, and is trying to use it to power a Magnetic Generator to make a hole in the system to access the Net and the Super Computer. As the energy beam is activated Megabyte talks to his pet null Nibbles. Fortunately, Bob catches him in the act. A scuffle ensues, and Bob takes the magnet away from Megabyte, shielded in protective armour.
When he returns to Dot's Diner, Enzo inquires what Bob has in the shielding. Bob tells Enzo and everyone in the Diner is terrified. When Bob assures everyone it's shielded, they relax. He notices Enzo admiring Glitch. He removes Glitch from his arm and lets Enzo try it out. Enzo makes Glitch shape-shift into a flashlight, a hammer, and finally a jackhammer. The jackhammer shakes things up so much that the magnet's shielding opens and the magnet attaches itself to Dot's forehead. Bob makes Glitch remove the magnet before it does permanent damage.
Bob summons a doctor, before going to see Phong to find out what can be done about Dot's condition. He finds out that he needs to go to Al's Wait & Eat cafe on Level 31 and access some really, really, really slow food to return Dot to normal. Bob returns to the Diner to tell Dot, and she tries to say something, but Bob shushes her, telling she needs rest. He then heads to Al's Diner.
Bob finds out there's a long, long waiting line for slow food at Al's. Al's Waiter is no help in hurrying up the food and Al himself operates the stove and only runs a three deca-hertz. Bob is forced to wait. Hack and Slash show up looking for Bob and threaten to trash the place unless the find him. Bob makes a deal with Al's Waiter, he gets rid of Megabyte's goons and gets some slow food in return. Al's Waiter agrees, giving him a food package. Bob leaves Al's Diner with Hack and Slash chasing him. A Game Cube enters the system and Bob hurries inside. Hack and Slash try to follow but are too slow and smash against the Cube's outer wall.
The Game is Castles and Knights. Bob reboots as a knight. As soon as he reboots he hears Dot's voice calling for help. He grabs a dragon, and heads for the castle. After a dragon-joust with the User, he enters the castle, defeats a skull-warrior, and runs up to the tallest tower to find... Enzo in a damsel dress. Dot, seemingly cured, is busy trying to hack the User to pieces. Too surprised to ask questions, Bob helps. Finally, the User is defeated when Enzo throws his megaphone at it and knocks him out the window.
The Game leaves, but Megabyte, Hack, and Slash are waiting for them. Megabyte complains that it took him a lot of time and effort to acquire the magnet, requesting it be returned. Bob has Glitch throw it at Megabyte and it drains him of energy. He falls off the city level, Hack and Slash jump after him.
Bob finds out that Dot got the cure faster because Al is a partner of hers. She hints that she owns more of Mainframe than anyone can possibly know.
- The title is wordplay on an English phrase "The Quick and the Dead" which has been a common idiom for novels, films and other popular culture.
- This is the first appearance of Megabyte's pet Null Nibbles. In computing, a nibble is a four-bit aggregation, or half an octet (an octet being an 8-bit byte). A nibble contains 4 bits.
- Dot Matrix was struck by a magnet and became partially erased. In real-life Hard Disc Drives (HDD) and other storage mediums are kept away from strong magnetic fields as it would result in permanent data loss.
- Number Seven is eating an egg from Ridley Scott's 1979 film Alien.
- When Megabyte is struck by the magnet, for less than a second, he appears in wireframe.
- Bob floats past a building marked 'The Parameters'.
- 3 decahertz is 30 hertz.
- Bob issues Glitch the command "BSnP!" to teleport through a window. This is referencing 'Broadcast Standards and Practices', the ABC Network censors, who did not allow the characters to perform imitatable acts such as smashing through windows.
- The Castles and Knights tower has a bed with "Rosebud" engraved on the foot rest.